Sunday, January 6

Elegy

The first sleepover of my life, I spent it with Oma. She introduced me to the alphabet and encouraged me to walk with my feet pointing outward not in. No little monkey but a little girl!
I'd explore her attic (dust motes sparkling in a shaft of light filtering through the small little attic window, red velvet and old toys)
We watched Fantasy Island under the covers.
Oma called me Tefanie, the name I told her was my own, long before I learnt to pronounce my Initial.
Anna was a generous and proud woman. Red curls, smart outfits and heels always. Straight as an arrow; No longer in posture by the end, but inside herself, where it counts, always.
Her heterochromatic eyes sparkled with her wicked sense of humour. Oma called a pleasant laugh her own, the sound of which would readily make your own mouth split into a smile.





Anna spent 92 years on this Earth. She lives on in the memories of all those whose lives she touched.


*bottom two photographs by my Dad :)

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful woman! I can see your resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. What a special lady she sounds. I lost my two wonderful grandmothers 19 1/2 and 17 years ago, but they are still such vivid people and influences to me. Many sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal LeeJanuary 06, 2013

    You look very much like her. She's sounds like a very special lady, and you have written her a very tender and sweet elegy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strung_Out6025January 07, 2013

    She sounds like an incredible woman, and this is so so beautiful. I'm very sorry for your your loss

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look a lot like her! It sounds as if you have really truly fond memories with her, and that is amazing (since I have none with my grandparents).  She was a beautiful woman and I am truly sorry to hear that she is no longer with you.  May you find comfort during your time of mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful.  I am thankful to have my Oma still around.  Nothing can replace an Oma :)

    ReplyDelete