Tuesday, December 18

Wardrobial Transgressor



It's funny, or at least I think it is funny, to some I am sue it is deadly serious businness, but: I don't much care if I am wearing the same clothes as everybody else.


In real life, back when I was in full time education, I frequently broke the unwritten code of not buying any clothes that some other girl already owns. The girl who got there first would stare me out across the hallway, mortified as well as livid at the disgrace I brought upon her, then swiftly disappear into one of those cool-girl huddles to voice her plight about my overt wardrobial transgression.

Apparently - listen up now, this is important: The first girl to buys a garment from a high street shop has the patent on it for her entire school catchment area. I expect the same may be true of office blocks around the world? Seriously, that just never sat well with me. Sure, if somebody hand-makes their own garment I am not going to go out on a limb to copy it or source the same fabric, but when a piece of clothing is for sale, surely I should be allowed to buy it, regardless of who is wearing it's twin?

Learning from past experience I can confirm that I never ever laugh out loud, point and yell "TWINS!" when I see someone else wearing identical clothes to mine, though this is my gut reaction. Not that I get a chance to often. I am a little too off the wall colourful for that (and too much of an eBayer/etsy fanatic and second-hand nut too), but in any case, I behave myself and don't make a peep.


When it comes to the blogosphere, wearing what other bloggers wear seems a tad more acceptable. I am aware some readers get the yawns when faced with cross-blog-repetition, but I am pretty sure you guys are alright, right? After all seeing me wear the same wardrobe-load of clothes over and over and over hasn't put you off either. I've got plenty of clothes, but even so I am far from a wear-once-never-show-on-blog-again blogger. By the time stains or rips take one dress out of rotation you've seen me lean against a tree in it a dozen times or more.

Personally I think it is kind of fun to see some of the same garments across blogs. When I am tempted with a buy it's reassuring to reference how it sits on somebody my height and maybe even find out some extra details about the quality (this fabric is really thin but opaque, the button front is for real - no zipper, and while most dresses come up empire  on my 5 feet 9 1/2 frame, this babe sits right on my natural waist).
Besides, we all have different styles, even if we wear the same clothes sometimes.
I've seen this dress on Bonnie, Elycia and Elizabeth and each of them made it look different.

Luckily I am no longer in school, so not being the first to buy this dress didn't mark it off limits to me. When the price went down a notch I went in for the kill and waited more or less patiently for the postman.


How about you, do you refrain from buying clothes you like if somebody you know (or a blogger you read) already owns the item?



teddy bear trophy hat: supermarket
cardi: highstreet
dress: online store
tights & boots: eBay

5 comments:

  1. Wearing the same clothes as someone else has never bothered me.  More than likely, we've each styled it differently.  In fact, if I see something on a blogger that I lurve, I am more likely to purchase it.  I don't really do a lot of online or catalog browsing, so fashion blogs is kind of my gateway to shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strung_Out6025December 18, 2012

    I think style is all in the way you style your clothes anyway. I'm more than happy to see the same item of clothing across different blogs because hey, that means I get to see a variety of ways that it can be worn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely copycatted my blogging partner-in-crime when she found a zebra print dress at H&M, although I opted for a different color. We usually do that, ending up with different versions of the same thing. I don't get bent out of shape over exact matching, though, and it's fun when I see someone who has a piece like mine styled in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milica NikolicDecember 18, 2012

    Back in high school, I heard like kazilion girls talking about how horible it is to buy an item someone else already has. I bought exact same shirt girl from my class had, and every time I wore it, and someone liked it, she had to point that SHE bought it first (even though our styles were completely different).Annoying.
    Anyway, I love your outfit and color combination, and hat is just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally said "twins!" to a French gentleman on my university campus the other day because we were wearing similar blue leather jackets. :D My old chemistry professor called us "twinsies" because we showed up wearing exactly the same layered colors one day in lab.

    It is rare, but I like having the same item as other people. We can compare how they are styled and how the item looks on other persons.

    My favorite was a young lady in a San Francisco library who asked me where I'd gotten my scarf- turns out she had the very same one from a friend, who'd bought it for her in Algeria. I'd gotten mine from a secondhand shoppe in Southern California. :D

    ReplyDelete