Thursday, October 11

Ascension





My Mama (I keep writing Mom but I never call her that, Mother sounds too formal and Mama sounds childish instead. Lets settle for childish from now on, huh?) and I, we share a liking for exploring cemeteries. Our home backs right on to one (quiet neighbours), but it's just lines and lines of stones standing up straight like soldiers.

So, to get our fill of deciphering weathered epitaphs and counting out how long one stranger or another got to spend on this Earth, David chauffeured my parent and me to the Ascension Parish Burial Ground.







The one and a half acres of the burial ground were established in 1857 and include the graves of many Cambridge academics and non-conformists of the 19th and early 20th century. To quote wikipedia: "some 2,500 people of every religious denomination and none are buried in 1,500 plots".

Above is the grave of one of Charles Darwin's sons (wiki).









How about you, I guess if you stayed on for the onslaught of photos today, you must like graveyards too?


2 comments:

  1. Katja ReiseOctober 11, 2012

    Your dress is absolutely darling!
    http://almoststylish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really thought about it to much before. but reading this I realize I usually end up looking for neat old cemeteries when I travel and take pictures.  They're quite interesting, filled with history and an eerie peacefulness. One of my favorites (is it creepy I have a favorite? haha) is La Recoleta in Buenos Aires.  It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete