Sunday, June 17

My kindersurprise egg


Here are a couple of cameras you haven't met before. On the left we have my trusty Canon EOS 500d (my blogging camera) and on the right is my kinder surprise egg: A Hasselblad medium format camera.

It hasn't come out to play a lot over the past few years, which is bad, bad, bad. I imagine I can hear the oil dry up inside this exquisite machinery. Alright, I am being dramatic, but it's an iconic piece of kit. Who could resist that chrome rim, huh?

Hasselblad is a Swedish company and they've been making variants of this model since 1957. Sure, they'll change the shape of the crank or the release mechanism in the film holder, but essentially it's still the same camera. 


But no, there is no chrome rim on the middle bit, the camera body. See, the great thing about this camera is that it's a modular design. I bought the film backs and lenses on eBay (iconic chrome rim), and the body direct from a hobbyist (rim also available in black). So my medium format muscle car has some mismatched paintwork ;)


Saying about modular design though: The big puller is that the film is in a separate compartment, so you can choose between different film stocks for each shot :)

This baby comes with some awesome lenses. They're just so darn crisp. Maybe it's because the shutter mechanism is actually  in the lens, not in the camera body, but the lenses, they're also crazy heavy.

I fell in love with this little machine at uni. I adored the square images and top down viewfinder (it even comes with a built in loupe!), not to mention the sleek design. But I also preferred it over other medium format cameras because of it's relative lightness. Trust me, it's in no way light, but just light enough to hand hold. Magic :)


There's no built in metering, so my much loved Weston light meter comes in handy :)
Can you guess my favourite type of film yet? ;)

When you carry a Blad around with you, every once in a while your lens will jam. It's a quick and easy, yet nerve wrecking fix. I like to hold on to instructions while I slide open my camera's shutter with my sausage fingers and poke a pen around in there. More of an adrenaline rush than a horror movie. ;)
But don't let that put you off. 

In the words of Ferris Bueller: It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.


Well, I've tidied up my camera bag so, hopefully I'll put some films through this kid soon. Not like I am going to run out any time soon, right? ;) I have accumulated quite the Kodak Portra stockpile :)

What's your favourite film?

3 comments:

  1. AmberRGodinJune 18, 2012

    that is one neat camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the camera you used for your hostel photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I used it for the Dark Territory and Of a Night stuff, Going Hostelling was shot using this camera at the top of the post :) (Toyo 4x5 large format) Can't wait to brreak that one out once we have moved :D

    ReplyDelete