Tuesday, May 8

Österreicherin





Servas you all!

I rarely get a chance to wear my choker - or as they call it in Austria: goitre necklace. I went into Austria overload with this outfit: Complete with flag nails and a Schilling (currency prior to the Euro) ring.


The flower on the coin is Edelweiss (Leontopodium Alpinum), Austria's national flower.


This is exactly the kind of thing I would so not wear in Austria :D
Feeling comfortable in this get up requires the sort of national pride only a decade's absence could inspire in me.

That said, I never once considered giving up my nationality, eventhough I don't intend to return for more than the occasional holiday.

Years and years ago one of my teachers, originally from France, was outraged when we asked her if she'd thought of becoming Austrian. She'd lived in the country all her adult life. I was baffled at the time. It just didn't seem to make sense to hold on to your nationality when you've chosen not to live in your home country. But, I guess I get it now. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. And that's all there really is to it.

Baba and pfiat euch until next time :)


hat: present when I was a toddler
dirndl dress: Moser outlet
denim jacket: eBay
choker: present
ring: DIY
clogs: Moheda

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the dirndl dress--the close fit of the bodice and the skirt length, but perhaps it would be like me wearing a ball cap and trainers in order to look more American, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elke PichlerMay 09, 2012

    Sehr fesches Dirndl!
    LG aus der Steiermark
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fesch :D Schaut wirklich sehr sehr schön aus! :) A real beauty! 
    Grüße aus Wien
    Yoshi

    ReplyDelete