Wednesday, January 25

What might be

As this post goes live the husband and I are in London for our Diversity Visa Interview at the US Embassy. No doubt we'll be feeling light headed as we cross the threshhold into the sovereign territory of the U.S. right in the middle of London, England :)

Unless it is a flat out NO! we probably won't know whether our application for a permanent visa was successful for another four to six weeks but after today it really is out of our hands.

I swear, over the past couple of weeks I've wanted to tell you guys about my visa butterflies Every. Single. Day. but with some difficulty I reigned the urge in until now.

Eversince we found out we'd been selected for further processing last July I've been trying to play it cool. I made every effort to convince myself that our application would most likely be rejected and frankly, it might well be but then again.. and it has been getting harder and harder to shake this thought over the past couple of weeks: It might not. We might be moving halfway across the globe within the next six months. Starting over from scratch. Finding our bearings not only in a new country but on a different continent.

Butterflies have taken permanent residence in my stomach. Quite like a sore tooth you can't help but keep tonguing, the thought of  what might be  has been on my mind almost constantly. Only it is a joyful, bubbly, scary-exciting kind of sore.

Of course I would like nothing more than to succceed and get my hands on a green card but whatever the results, going through this process has been beneficial for me in a myriad of little ways.

It has reminded me that I am not bound to the direction my life is currently headed. That even the most extreme of life changes are never out of the question. Not that I dislike my life right now - not at all. It's just that I've gotten a little myred in routines. I am a creature of habit me. It is all too easy to forget that while a well played-in, secure day-to-day routine is reassuring,   just every once in a while you need to get out of your comfort zone to feel alive.  Jump into the unknown head first. Take opportunities as they arise, go out on a limb every once in a while.

From taking a different route to work, over trying out new foods to.. well, taking a chance on the Diversity Visa Lottery.

The whole process has also brought home to me that  the things you own really do end up owning you.  I know, I know - this quote is getting old but it is true. Ridding myself of accumulated trinkets, thinning out our tightly packed book cases and burrowing our way through reams of old paperwork wasn't easy but with every paper shredded, every box of books and dusty keepsake carried to the charity shop we felt a weight lift off our backs (well, literally too I guess - hardbacks are hea-vy). But seriously: I feel lighter, so much lighter now.

If we do leave for the US this summer we've got a lot more stock taking ahead of us and I bet I'll be feeling like a helium balloon by the end of it ;) I can just about imagine getting to a point where I can fit my life into a couple of suitcases now. That would have been an impossibility a year ago. Frankly, we could hardly fit all our stuff into our tiny home and at the time we didn't even realize how suffocating that really was.

And last but not least, the prospect of escaping future loooong, grey, damp winters has made it ever so much easier to keep a  smile  on my face through this one. I hope I can keep that positivity up if we stick around for the next English winter ;)

I can't deny we'll be inredibly bummed if our application falls through but there will be much excitement ahead whatever happens: If we don't find ourselves venturing across the pond we'll be moving locally, buy a car for weekend trips and go on a holiday abroad this year.

So here goes.
Keep your fingers crossed for us ;)

earrings: present
dress: heartbreakers (modcloth)
cardi: primark
brooch: decoylab (etsy)
scarf: present (pass me down)
belt: h&m
pale yellow tights
boots: eBay

13 comments:

  1. RoselinakamineJanuary 25, 2012

    Hi!!! Beautiful dress and cardi...kisses
    Rose japan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matilda JoyceJanuary 25, 2012

    Love the dress... hope it is all going well for you.  Where in the US would you live?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. We would have gone to Austin TX but our visa was denied so we are staying in England :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily BakerJanuary 25, 2012

    what a beautiful scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the last time you posted about applying for this and how much you wanted it. I hope that all goes well and that you don't have to wait too much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AmberBlueBird83January 25, 2012

    First off, your outfit is adorable and l am loving the colored tights you paired with this dress. Secondly, I hope you get the chance to come to the States.  Getting out of your comfort zone is so important.  I've got my fingers crossed for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your application! What part of the US are you planning to move to? Is it for work/school? I've always dreamed of visiting London but still haven't due to budget constraints. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on your application! What part of the US are you planning to move to? Is it for work/school? I've always dreamed of visiting London but still haven't due to budget constraints. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. We would have gone to Austin/TX but our application failed so we're staying in the UK :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on your application! What part of the US are you planning to move to? Is it for work/school? I've always dreamed of visiting London but still haven't due to budget constraints. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on your application! What part of the US are you planning to move to? Is it for work/school? I've always dreamed of visiting London but still haven't due to budget constraints. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember this post...and perhaps your holiday can include the states.  You may decide after a visit that it was a good thing the visa was declined.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we'll wait a little while for the hard feelings to soften up again first ;) but we'd certainly like to travel to the US. Maybe a road trip lies in our future yet :)

    ReplyDelete