Monday, January 2

So this is January




I am enjoying my final day of sleeping late, waking up slowly and achieving very little other than relaxation. Takeshi Kovacs is quoting Quell on my Kindle again as I sip at my coffee. Empty chocolate wrappers rustle under and around me. They litter the sofa. Spent munition in this winter's nutritional battle field. I've got a serious detox scheduled for January.

The gluttonous excess I put my body through over the last couple of weeks has left me with a spare tire around my waist and a general sluggishness that makes me feel apologetic towards my own flesh. Poor distended, spongy body. I did this to you. Greed over satiety.

Oh well, like they say: It only comes around once a year. Still, it is odd, this ritual ravenous feeding frenzy. Maybe it's hard coded into us by now. Generation upon generation upon generation following the same pattern. On the other hand, maybe I just gotta keep searching for this fabled backbone of mine and say NO! to confectionery every once in a while.. even at Christmas ;)



I am going to settle down with another coffee and Woken Furies now, so before I read on I figured I'd share one of my favourite quotes by fictional political activist and revolutionary Quellcrist Falconer:

Face the facts. Then act on them. It's the only mantra I know, the only doctrine I have to offer you, and it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, don't buy into centuries-old dogma and dead rhetoric. Don't give in to your conditioning or your visions or your fucked-up sense of... whatever. Face the facts. Then act. 
Richard Morgan | Broken Angels

beret: eBay
coat: primark
sweater: very
dress: h&m
olive tights: welovecolors
brogues: office

9 comments:

  1. that quote is lovely. as is that bag. and i feel the same way about holiday treats. i'm ready to get back into my daily routine. the holidays mess me up every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LavilleinconnueJanuary 02, 2012

    I love the instax photo, and your outfit is beautiful!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  3. AmberRGodinJanuary 03, 2012

    you are always so inventive with your outfits. I love the pairing of the winter knit with the  b&w skirt.  Way cute.  After you find this backbone of yours maybe you could help me find mine.  I cant say no to ice cream any time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arg, last day of sleeping in for me as well.  My house is the same kind of scene...plenty of empty chocolate wrappers to remind me that I definitely didn't follow a healthy diet this holiday season..hehe, oh well:)  Your pattern and color mixing here is festive perfection!  You are a master at this for sure.  Such a pretty sweater too.  Have the happiest new year!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oranges_and_applesJanuary 03, 2012

    I'm quite proud i managed to get up at 8 today! The eating loads and then exercising madly thing is a bit weird. The eating is very enjoyable though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matilda JoyceJanuary 04, 2012

    Saw this and thought of you: 
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/8989245/Would-you-swap-your-country-for-America.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that crossbody! What a gorgeous color. Best of luck recovering from break. Mine was over today :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. RoselinakamineJanuary 04, 2012

    Hi, i loved your sweater. Kisses
    Rose jp

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy new yeaaar from The Fashion Turd...may it be colourful and camp! x x x

    www.thefashionturd.com

    ReplyDelete