Tuesday, January 17

Instant nostalgia



Yes, that dress again ;)
I felt like posting something current so I shouldered my tripod and froze my socks off at lunch yesterday. I hadn't taken outfit shots since Christmas so I got all excited about "getting back on the horse".


I am so crazy in love with this dress but I am sure you've all worked this out long ago. I think this is the fifth remix in no more than a month :)

And of course my new Gadgetyphone got a look in as well - Retro Camera by Urbian is my favourite "instant nostalgia" app right now. Isn't it peculiar that while so many of us aim for crisp, polished imagery in our outfit shots, we keep our more personal mementos purposely blurred around the edges?



Sure, we're mimicking the tangible, touchable, faded and fragile mementos of our parents and grandparents: Collected in albums, hidden like treasure in dust covered boxes and framed on our walls.

But could it be the crisp, precise focus and accurate representation multi-mega-pixel snapshots have to offer simply jars with our need to embellish our own past? Even second rate compact cameras boast a depth of focus superior to the human eye. Is it any wonder that these crisp, clean photos all too often recall evidence, appear clinical and cold? They make plain the unreliability of our own memory, whereas a real or faux Polaroid leaves us room to play, to reminisce. It's an emotional thing I guess :)

On that note: If you could have total recall, do you think you'd want it?

That's more than enough lyrical waxing for a Monday night. Have a glorious Tuesday and keep snapping happy!

10 comments:

  1. RoselinakamineJanuary 17, 2012

    Beautiful, beautiful...kisses.
    Rose jp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these colours in January.

    Personally, the whole "crappy photo aesthetic" kind of annoys me.  Even our super-crisp DSLR photos are going to look old by the time we're old enough to be having nostalgia... because something always changes in the look and presentation of photos.  Meanwhile, I want to murder all people with instagram accounts for filling their blogs with a bunch of brown sludge pictures!

    Happy Tuesday! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that cardigan is amazing, and your nails are so brilliant!

    i have always loved imperfection in photographs--i think it just makes the image more interesting.  i have never been one to want to directly capture reality in a sterile way.  i prefer abstracts to landscape art or portraits.  i like things to be blurred or distorted so that they capture an emotion more than an image.  my boyfriend got me a holga for christmas, which is pretty much the perfect present--i can't wait to see how my first roll turns out.  the exciting thing is how little control i have over the images on that film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AmberBlueBird83January 17, 2012

    once again, I'm loving your color combo. that cardi looks great with the purple shades underneath.  I never really thought of the fascination with blurry/dreamy images verses that of crisp photos, but your theory sounds about right.  I guess the out of focus pics leave more to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your little loose bow around your neck. :) i need to get some fabric/string and try that with a dress or blouse or something.

    i like your input on nice crisp photos vs. camera apps...i never thought of it that way but it makes sense the way you put it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your little loose bow around your neck. :) i need to get some fabric/string and try that with a dress or blouse or something.

    i like your input on nice crisp photos vs. camera apps...i never thought of it that way but it makes sense the way you put it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca KummerfeldJanuary 18, 2012

    I love your little details - nails, jewellery - just the things that seem to dissolve when I hit summer. Right now I am lucky if I am wearing clothes on my bottom half - let alone thinking about sweet little details - aggg heat! 

    You know - I have that same thought about HD tv. The way it makes things just a little too crisp. I think it is nice to preserve a little mystery. When we are bombarded by a bazillion images daily - I think it is perfectly reasonable we should like photographs that help us focus on one detail and blur out the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would not want total recall, but this is an interesting theory you have about photographs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. everything about this look is so whimsical and playful; you have a great eye for colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily BakerJanuary 19, 2012

    i always love your nails, girl! You should do a tutorial!!!! 

    ReplyDelete