Monday, June 6

Further Kodak Moments


Here's my Gran on her Dad's motorcycle. He was a vet and used it to get to wherever he was needed :) There is also a photo of my Dad on his father's motorcycle quite like this one. The above young girl's husband was also a motorcycling country vet. :)



Here we have my great-grandfather and great-grandmother with their daughter, my Grandma and her dollie Liselotte. My great-grandfather was his wife's senior by quite a few years and when it came to picture taking a few years mark a big difference in attitude at this point.


Here he is again, on the left, being totally serious ;)

Before compact cameras made photography available outside a professional studio, smiling wasn't really an option. Film was slow, exposures long and you had to hold still for a good long while. Often studio photographers would clamp your head into a sort of brace to ensure minimum movement. You try and hold a smile for a minute or two without it turning into a rictus ;) Besides, photography was serious business. It was costly and a special occasion to have your photograph taken, not something you did every day. The advent of box cameras and photo labs changed all that.

My great-grandma was all for smiling in photographs but that just didn't seem right to her husband at all. Much to my great-grandma's dismay he didn't even smile in their wedding portrait. She refused to send copies to family and friends, keeping them hidden instead. I have one of them and might show you another time because contrary to her fears it is actually a lovely photo.

Next time we'll take an excursion to the other side of my family tree and you'll meet another great-grandma and her husband.

11 comments:

  1. ah! that motorcycle photo is TOO adorable! looove the pageboy hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posts like these, I wish I had pictures of my grandparents but we really aren't that close with them, they are super religious and stuff. Sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo is amazing!  Hope you're having a fantastic Monday.  I have some great news on my blog today...I'd love for you to check it out!  Have a wonderful day honey!  Kori xoxo 

    www.blondeepisodes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute story, your great grandmother sounds like a lovely woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your family photos! And the stories that accompany them too, of course! I so love that first picture! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy 5678 VintageJune 07, 2011

    I love that first photo- it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so wonderful!  I can tell that the lady on the far right in the bottom photo really wants to break a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, Resplendent TranquilityJune 10, 2011

    A motorcycling country vet! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great photos. I really love when you post these shots because they are just so completely different from the photos of old that I've found of my own family. Just the culture and fashions are so unique and different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily_RubySlippersJune 15, 2011

    Ha, my boyfriend is pretty Victorian in his attitude to smiling in photos.  I kind of feel we've gone from one extreme to another; now people feel like they have to grin like hyenas if the camera comes near them. 

    These are awesome pics, Stef.  I love seeing a little slice of Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great photos. I really love when you post these shots because they are just so completely different from the photos of old that I've found of my own family. Just the culture and fashions are so unique and different.

    ReplyDelete