Sunday, May 1

Kodak moments

I was browsing one of Leilani's posts on thrifted photographs when one of the wheels at the back of my head went click! and snapped into place. I knew I had to share some of my old family photos.

Most of these images are rather small in person. Friendly little contact prints :) When I scanned them I found that I could identify little details I had never noticed before so I figured I'd post the enlarged versions. While it would be easy to clean these up a little in photoshop I decided to leave them au naturelle: Scratches, chemical burns, crinkles and all.


I'll try to get the number of "great"s right here: This is my great-great-grandmother. I believe the lady had a little post production done :D See those lines around her upper arm and at her waist? The photographer painted the original photograph slimming her a little and then took a second photograph of the altered image. Voila: Analog photoshop. Pretty neat, right?



Here she is again with her daughter, my great-grandmother. I must admit I find that stole a little creepy but also I can't stop looking at it.


Well, I am not entirely sure who is in this image. My Grandma hazarded a guess that her Mom (the little girl in the photo above) might be one of these young ladies but although there are some signatures at the back it's hard to say. The only thing that's for sure is they were having a fun day on 05th August 1920 :)

I just love the big bow and bathing get up of the girl third from left. Mind you, evidently she didn't feel like sticking out her tongue at the photographer :)

That's all for today. In the next instalment I shall tell you all about one Mister Schartner's grocery shopping habits.

14 comments:

  1. LavilleinconnueMay 01, 2011

    These photos are amazing (I especially love the 'old photoshop'), and that last one is adorable!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great you have this pictures! You should treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm glad I inspired you to post your old family photos, they're lovely! My next installment of Vernacular Photo Tuesday will actually be my family photos as I'm currently at home at my parent's house and will be scanning in some old albums.

    Love the old version of photo shop and I wish I could live in that second photo! I'd hate to be the girl on the far right though, she seems to be the 7th wheel of the outing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cool! GREAt details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos, especially the two first ones.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's always the photographer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing these! The 'photoshop' thing is fascinating, and I just love the last picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. woww, these are so awesome. i love the second one, too! it's mesmerizing. and that swimsuit pic makes me miss my family

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are amazing, you're so lucky to have them! The swimsuit shot is so fun, and the old-school photoshop is fascinating!
    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. that last picture is amazing! i added it to my tumblr :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing photos. i love these so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I love old photographs! Thank you for sharing these and pointing out the ''analog photoshop.'' My great-grandmother put together some charming little scrapbooks some 100 years ago now (!). My blog header image is actually from one of them (though I'm not sure if the lady in the photo is my great-grandmother or not).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily_RubySlippersMay 07, 2011

    Man, I'm so behind on my reading again, but I'm so glad I soldiered through and found this post! It's so great to have old photos, even if you're not sure who's in them. There's a box t my grannie's house, and if it gets sold I have to make a oint of getting there first with a scanner.

    Love the Victorian photoshop! Trickery, trickery!

    ReplyDelete