Saturday, March 19

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

It 's movie night again so dim the lights and get the popcorn popping. Prepare for the fright of a lifetime with (dum dum dumm!) The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954).


One thing that really gets me about 50s sci fi films is that quite a few of them were shot in glorious 3-Dimensions! You needed polarized 3-D glasses (you know, the red and blue ones) to get the effect but I am told it wasn't just a gimmick. Well, no more than 3D ever is ;)

It 's all the same to me as soon as I don't see 3D at all. I hear it 's overrated and don't nobody tell me otherwise ;) but I do like this painting intimating just how lifelike those marvellous dimensions are going to be for movie goers.








Disney animator Millicent Patrick who designed the final gilled man


Ricou Browning, who portrayed the gilled man in the underwater scenes.
Ben Chapman was in the creature suit for all scenes on dry land. The costume made it impossible to sit for the 14 hours on set each day and was hot as heck to boot. Needless to say visibility wasn't too great in that suit either :)

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic option for Saturday, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Thank you, my friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her swimsuit and shoes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite films!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha aweomse. I love how Millicent Patrick is all dolled up as she draws - clearly that shot is a candid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the dude behind the suit is totally hot! :-D and I love how fashion is so pretty in old movies, even in trashy horror :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnnaBananaCupcakeMarch 20, 2011

    Oooh, super fun post! I was watching some 50s movies last week too. I'll have to put this one on my list.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. TeapotHonorMarch 20, 2011

    I just founed your blog and I'm definatly following :D
    This film looks great, might hafta go and rent it :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, I've always been oddly curious about this flick. I'll have to watch it sometime soon. I might pass on the 3-D glasses though. I have astigmatism, so wearing them on top of my regular glasses (that I need to wear for watching movies & such) can be rather nauseating. Because of that, I, too, often crow that 3D movies are overrated ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want her shoes, please. haha.

    ReplyDelete