Tuesday, March 15

Look, no coat!



I couldn't believe it when I realized I might get away with wearing my jeans jacket instead of a coat for the first time in months.







Friday evening I went to the pub to fire on a friend taking part in a karaoke competition. She's got quite the voice, even while recovering from a croaky cold. I am not famous for my social graces (nor am I renowned for my lack of the same, which never ceases to surprise me) but I am pretty sure I must have freaked out some people when after taking a picture of my coke bottle and a friend's pretty shoes I swung my lens towards the news headlines flickering across a wall mounted TV screen near our table.

While contestant number five was murdering a Dido song I wasn't too fond of in the first place I read about rising death tolls (click) and emergency venting of reactors (click). In retrospect I can see that that was pretty creepy. I guess I felt  it was important I remember the evening in context.

Hearing about the terrible events in Japan I am sure many of you can relate to a certain blunting, a sense of unreality. When shocking world events take us by surprise like this they have a way of making mundane, every day life appear abstracted.

A few of my readers call Japan their home. I am lost for words. I hope you and yours are safe and sound.


Japan Tsunami Appeal:
American Red Cross
Australian Red Cross
British Red Cross
Canadian Red Cross



beret: softspoken on Etsy
scarf: ex-Mom's
blouse: ancient H&M
cardi: modcloth
skirt: annabelfuzz on Etsy
jacket: pre-historic H&M
Shoes: Office

18 comments:

  1. Yay for no coats! Or at least a denim one! Haha, we'll take what we can get :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhh! that first photo is awesome. glad its warming up for you.
    again....those office shoes are fab. i want them!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. About japan and japanese people, we all know how we feel, so no need to go into it any further.
    I love the feeling of your outfit. Spring is coming to Cambridge through you.
    I have photoshop at last, but now I have realised that it takes some learning...
    have a good day my friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily_RubySlippersMarch 15, 2011

    I had a light jacket on on the weekend too, and was too hot in the morning and too cold in the afternoon (hi England). And I always like it when that skirt of yours comes out to play. : )

    Not to play devil's advocate, but I'm pretty sure Haiti could use some relief money as well, even a year after the event...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo for warmer weather! Hope that means the cold will hit us soon!

    Sounds like a very surreal way to hear about the horrors of the quake. I was driving through torrential rain - and arrived home to see it all on the news. It is all so hard to come to terms with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it appears that many of us have had the wind knocked out of us because of these events, and there seems to be no end in sight. it's hard to grasp, especially when i live in such a small little landlocked state in a big country and cannot even begin to fathom what it would be like to experience something so devastating.

    on a lighter note, yay for yellow and no coats! you look so bright and sunny and that skirt is absolutely darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look sooooo cute! I LOVE the mustard and coral together:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on no coat! it is a wonderful thing when you can de-layer an outfit.
    coats just weight you down..haha.
    you look beautiful love..i love your beret..softspoken is my favorite etsy shop!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  9. the news about japan keeps me utterly depressed. Words cannot describe how disasterous and horrible this is for the people who live there.



    I love the happy spring colors in your outfit, we can use some happiness right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your beret. I've been able to go without a coat in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look beautiful! i love how you styled the jean jacket. it looks so fresh and cute!
    and my thoughts on japan are exactly the same as yours. gosh, what a devastating event.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your skirt and scarf, the colours go beautifully together!
    My heart breaks for Japan as well, I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to lose everything. It certainly puts some of my worries into perspective.
    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily, Resplendent TranquilityMarch 16, 2011

    That is one great beret and I CANNOT wait until the weather allows me to wear a denim jacket.

    Bad karaoke and Dido songs seem to go hand-in-hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy for your and your warmer weather :) That first photo(s) is incredible! And you're right about Japan - everything in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I laughed so hard when I read your unzipped dress story - glad I'm not the only one who functions at a pathetic level while not under the influence of caffeine! And I love the first pic. Yay for using Photoshop for the vainest of endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems I am waiting for the opposite - bring on the cooler weather!
    A spot of karaoke is one of my favourite passtimes - but only in a private room with a bunch of friends, I would never subject strangers to my screachings.
    You are looking lovely and spring-like

    ^U^

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so jealous of your warmer weather (and that fantastic skirt). If I were to go without a coat I'd look as if I'd been showering with my clothes on. Still cold here and very rainy.

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't that the greatest feeling, being able to ditch your heavy winter coat?

    ReplyDelete