Friday, March 25

Little invasions

Talking about the doll house featuring in my blog headers my Mother-in-law told me how she'd once renovated a miniature home herself. It sounds like at the time there were always kids coming and going around her house (which reminds me of a family with an amazing swing set all the kids in my hamlet used to visit although the children it had belonged to had long since grown. My friend would ring the bell to ask permission while I stood back sheepishly). Anyway, one of the boys who used to come to play expressed an interest in her doll house and after asking permission to play with it he swiftly proceeded to fill it to the brim - with soldiers. Toy batallions in every room and even toppling out of the pantry.

How could I resist a reenactment? ;)


Too right, my cakes are worth an armed guard or two




I looted some doll house ornaments from my parents' attic when I visited last amongst others these scales, tiny cutlery and a rolling pin




Does that soldier on the left look weary to you? He is just as crudely shaped as all the rest but there is something about the angle that makes his features seem more human. His tight face look so wary guarding the rim of the bathtub.

16 comments:

  1. You are absolutely fantastic and creative. Wowwwwwwwwwww. i did enjoy the soldiers in the doll house.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. UnravelledThreadsMarch 25, 2011

    Whoa, very cool.

    Melanie@Unravelled Threads
    Follow @UnraveldThreads on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dearbeatriceMarch 25, 2011

    hehehe great post!! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! This post is great! And what an amazing dollhouse...whoa...I dreamed so many times of having a dollhouse like this as a child. Not with soldiers, but you know, wooden and detailed and fully decorated. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MaryvannoteMarch 25, 2011

    This is so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous post! I enjoyed this reenactment very, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The soldier in the sink and stepping out of the fridge...too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how retro your dollhouse is, is it from from the 60s/70s? Everything is so detailed, I'd be happy to have a full-scale version of that kitchen and bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily_RubySlippersMarch 26, 2011

    I like the face of the cake-guarding soldier... he keeps sneaking looks at them and has the look of someone who's wondering if anyone would notice if he dipped his finger in the glaze.

    I love your dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Possibly the cutest house, and the soldier re-enactment is adorable. They look so small, like toy soldiers in Toy Story or something. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so very awesome! Love the toy soldiers in the doll house. I've been thinking of getting a doll house myself, just for some fun and decorating. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, seriously... how are you SO cool?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful!! Such a great idea. I also love that a little boy was so eager to use the doll house - shows that it is just us who makes these silly gender divisions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily, Resplendent TranquilityMarch 30, 2011

    Love this! When Toy Story first came out I was suddenly overcome with the urge to place little green army men in various locals around my bedroom. I thought it was funny, but some of my friends took me for quite the weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are wonderful!!! I do think that the soldier on the left looks a little weary to me. It is so cool to see how your toy soldiers over there are so different from ours. yours have such great expressions!!! I love the little post-its by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is cool, funny ah.. i love the stuff of this doll house..

    ReplyDelete