Monday, January 10

As if you didn't know

As soon as I get a little worried about publishing when and where I am on holiday I've not told you guys quite what the husband and I have been up to over Christmas but you guessed it anyway: We spent the last couple of weeks in Austria :)





Our trip was off to a difficult start when heavy snow left our train headed for the airport dead on the tracks for some time. After finally making it to the terminal the heavy police presence alone (never mind the blank white landscape outside) made it obvious nobody was going anywhere that day. We were lucky enough to make it back home and though all flights prior to Christmas had already been filled by the time we got to re-book we managed to snag two tickets on a coach instead. So rather than catching a two hour flight we embarked on a twenty-six hour coach journey some days later but we reached Salzburg in the end :)

I took lots of photos with my Dad and my other half's assistance, so stay tuned for lots of Austria pics :)

The pink sweetness in the bottom picture is a Punchkrapferl which the other half and I gorge ourselves on every visit. While you'll be able to get your hands on one most anywhere in Austria, should you find yourself in Salzburg the Holztrattner bakery (e.g. on Rathausplatz & Kajetaner Platz) make a particularly yummy one.

14 comments:

  1. Austria!! How wonderful...what an incredible place to visit during this time of year! Enjoy it all.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks amaaaazing, and it reminds me quite a lot of some cakes I had in Denmark once upon a time. Your coach journey sounds epic, but now that the discomfort has worn off, it'll be one for the grandchildren, right? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooooooooooo glad for you. We spend quite a few weeks of the year in Germany and England, but never been to Austria, so romantic. I am looking forward to your coming posts.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. i am drooling on my computer looking at these yummy treats.
    i have a HUGE sweet tooth.
    i can not wait to see all your pictures!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, I'm glad you were finally able to get to Austria! Those goodies look scrumptious. And I will be awaiting the photos you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nightmare of traveling! The pastries make it look worth while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! These treats look completely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Austria is on my must visit list....Can't wait to see the photos.

    pinupdolls01.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEST time of the year to visit Audtria... and yummmmyyy :D
    xxx

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pink confection is not only gorgeous to look at, but I'm sure even better to eat. Can't wait to see your pictures in Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  11. not sure how to phonetically spell it, so let me just say that my real life response to this post is to make the homer simpson drooling sound. that last desert is sssssoo cute with its mini cherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy yummy, these pictures are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pink cake (well, all the cakes, but the pink one in particular) makes me sooooo hungry...I don't even have a particular sweet tooth, but it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hhhm punchkrapferl. Punschkrapferl? Looks delicious. There's an Austrian bakery in Edinburgh. I am usually boykotting them because I had Laugenbrezeln from there once and they were rubbish, nothing like proper ones, but I hear it's the cakey bits that they're good at, so I should go back!

    ReplyDelete