Sunday, October 24

Spin Cycle





I used to rather enjoy my weekly visit to the laundrette. Sure, it was a chore but once I'd lugged my washing there and inserted my coins there was a certain zen to it. Plug in those headphones, disappear into a novel or just let laundry tumbling around and around the dryer mesmerize me and daydream away :)


Laundrettes, I swear they're liminal spaces. They're one of the few places almost anyone will speak to strangers in. I guess if you're going to stuff dirty underwear into a machine right next to each other you might as well not worry about introductions.



Sometimes speaking with strangers comes easier than regular conversations. A bit like gibbering away online. No strings attached and no shame regarding talking about the weather.



I remember once I met a nun on the way home from the grocery store. As soon as I opened my mouth she told me:"You're Austrian". My jaw dropped. Nobody 'd ever guessed before. They'll guess Australian or South African although I sound nothing like it. People can tell I am not from around here but when it comes to placing my accent there is usually no telling. But no, this lady, she knew right away. She'd spent some time in a convent in Austria and was just about to move to one in Canada. Fleeting meetings, chance encounters, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy :)



On a different note, you might have noticed an increase in posts over the past week or so. The days are getting pretty short now so I don't taken any chances: I collect up some outfits I've been wearing over the past few days and shoot all my sets over the weekend. That means there is now a time lag between wearing, posing and posting my outfits. Just thought I'd own up :P


Blouse: Vintage
Brooch: ThirdPlanet
Cardi: H&M
Skirt: Market stall (Amsterdam)
Shoes: Vintage

12 comments:

  1. i am in awe of your blouse and cardigan, so lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your brightly coloured outfit. In Melbourne no one tends to wear bright colours and if you do, you tend to stand out - not that that is a problem ;)

    People might guess your accent incorrectly as a New Zealander with that very cute kiwi brooch.

    Have you seen the new issue of Frankie magazine?
    There is a fabulous article with Georgia Smith a lady who creates the most amazing doll house interiors. Unfortunately there are no photos online...if you can't get a hold of the new issue Nov/Dec I could try and take some photos of the pages and send them to you - they are worth it ^U^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Love this vintage look! And oh so bright, too!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, I like it so much, and this look has a great style!If you Are obsessed with glamour we could be followers each other, what do you think? tell me something!
    obsessedwithglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit, the color harmony is beautiful !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here from Chictopia because I liked this outfit so much...and while I take my outfit shots daily, there's often a two week lag before they're posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm here from Chictopia because I liked this outfit so much...and while I take my outfit shots daily, there's often a two week lag before they're posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit, the color harmony is beautiful !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog, I like it so much, and this look has a great style!If you Are obsessed with glamour we could be followers each other, what do you think? tell me something!
    obsessedwithglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Love this vintage look! And oh so bright, too!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your brightly coloured outfit. In Melbourne no one tends to wear bright colours and if you do, you tend to stand out - not that that is a problem ;)

    People might guess your accent incorrectly as a New Zealander with that very cute kiwi brooch.

    Have you seen the new issue of Frankie magazine?
    There is a fabulous article with Georgia Smith a lady who creates the most amazing doll house interiors. Unfortunately there are no photos online...if you can't get a hold of the new issue Nov/Dec I could try and take some photos of the pages and send them to you - they are worth it ^U^

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am in awe of your blouse and cardigan, so lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete