Saturday, October 24

Austrian Hat


Hat: reclaimed childhood hat
Cardigan: Asda
Top: Allmighty
Skirt: H&M
Tights: eBay
Shoes: Clarks
Bag: Mom's

When I saw Solanah's Austrian hat I couldn't believe how elegant she made it look.

Up until her post I associated such traditional headgear with the following, and the following only:
  • Old men drinking warm beer
  • Mountaineering
  • Flocks of tourists
  • Old Heimatfilms.

I mentioned Vixen Vintage to my Mom while trying on half her hat collection (how could I not be reminded of that blog while trying on hat after hat?). Mom swiftly disappeared and returned with the hat pictured, which apparently was mine all along (snot-nosed evidence of ownership to the right). It 's been stored away for the last twenty-something years waiting for its rightful owner to return.

Wearing the hat in Austria was a little daunting with all the stares (and occasional snickers) but back in England the little grey hat has more than novelty value: The thick felt keeps my head dry in the unceasing drizzle.

2 comments:

  1. I love the hat! I also love the sound of those films. Haha.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I totally agree about the Austrian style hat, reminds me of those 1950s films set in a wooden ski lodge, with sheepskin rugs and cocktails!

    ReplyDelete